Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1st day of School... new class!

1st day of school picture! Side note: He did not wear the "hunk" shirt to school =) and those are Mr. Pot.ato Head glasses that he's holding. He seriously tried to wear them, too. =)

Adam started his new class at Montessori today! He's now in the 2-3 year old class, instead of the 1-2 year old class. I was *really* nervous (huge understatement) about the change. Adam has/had been in Miss Annie's class for exactly 1 year and was very comfortable there. He adored Miss Annie and knew the routine, kids, etc. The class was relatively unstructured since some kids were only 12 or 13 months old in there. In true Montessori fashion (mixed ages), the kids ages ranged from 12 months - 35 months. Adam started there at 17 months... you can read about it here."

The good news is that the majority of the kids from Miss Annie's class are also 2 and are in class with him (Jackie, Olivia, Ryan, Alivia, Rushawn, Nila, etc.)! Yay! He also knows the 2 assistants since they assist each class. However, the teacher (Ms. Lizette) is new to him (and us). She is also completely different than Miss Annie. She is very business-like, young, etc. To be honest, I'm not sure if I like her style yet... she didn't seem that warm and seemed a little overwhelmed. Adam did reach out to give her a hug good-bye, though, and she gave him a kiss. So that's a good sign. She also said that Adam was very good during the day, only cried once (before nap -- he was overtired), didn't cry AT ALL when Steven dropped him off (kinda surprising), was very quiet (not uncommon since it was a new class), ate his lunch (I was pleasently surprised to hear this) and peed on the potty (they are potty training him there -- pretty cool). So... all in all, he did fine, it seemed. He didn't even run over to us when we picked him up. He was busy building with Le.gos (his new absolute favorite thing -- more on the next post). When I went to him he simply told me "I'm building". He certainly seemed content. So we'll see how the next few days go. I'm still holding my breath.

Overall, LL seemed so much older to me. He is talking in pretty long sentences these days (some are hilarious such as "Mama, don't stop the car" when I was driving) and exclaimed "it's awesome" when admiring his Le.go structure. Hilarious. I know he's definitely ready for "the big boy class"... I just don't know if my heart is. My little guy is DEFINITELY growing up.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW, what a difference a year makes. Glad to hear he did fine in the "big boy" room! I **DREAD** the day I have to drop Claire off at school...I'm sure they'll be more tears from me than from anyone ( :

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

As usual our boys are living parallel lives. Teo got passed down a Duplo big lego set this past weekend from one of his older friends. He LOVES it.