Friday, February 13, 2009

22 Things -- 22 Months Old (Part TWO)

For items #1-11, please refer to the last post...

12. As well as Adam sleeps at home (and at Montessori), he refuses to sleep anywhere else (besides his car seat, but even that's occasional now). It's a huge problem at times. He can't spend the day at Grandma's house b/c he won't sleep in the crib at her house. It's also a big deal when we vacation. When we were in Chicago and in Palm Springs (our last 2 trips), Adam screamed/wailed/went ballistic when we put him in the crib. So we ended up sleeping on the floor with him both times. I've never let Adam sleep in our bed (well, there were a few naps in Palm Springs) b/c I'm too paranoid that I'll roll on top of him or he'll roll off. It's always been a fear of mine. Adam sleeps snug as a bug... as long as he's in OWN crib (with doggies, of course!).

13. A new favorite activity for Adam has been Gymboree. He gets so excited when we go there and yells "Gymboree" the whole time he's playing... including a sincere "Bye Bye, Gymboree" when we leave. On Tuesday afternoons, Adam attends the Open Gym class. He loves to climb up the ladders and go down the slides (stomach down... he always turns around to go down the slides). He also takes an art class there on Thursday morning. It's not cheap but I'm glad we're doing it since Adam is enthralled with the class. However, he likes to do things *his way* so his projects never turn out the way they're supposed to. For example, this week the kids were directed to paint a pocket and then make tissue paper flowers with valentine stickers to place in the pocket. Adam loved painting his pocket but played with the popsicle sticks and tissue paper instead of actually making the flowers. I eventually took the items to make it myself and he started bawling "Mama took it, Mama took it" (you should have seen the other looks the moms gave me!!!). When the stickers came around (to put on the pockets!), Adam loved sticking them... on himself. Sigh. The important thing, though, is that he loves being in the class, creating art for Grandma.

Having fun at Gymboree!

14. Speaking of Grandma, Adam is crazy about her (nothing new!). He can express it more, though. He runs up to her, yelling "Grandma Grandma Grandma" and wants to be around her (literally right next to her) constantly. His new favorite thing is to cook with Grandma. He insists on being picked up so he can watch her cook. He takes these "cooking classes" very seriously... G-d forbid, you put him down during one! He also talks about Grandma all day. Last night, he heard the wind outside and thought the noise was a fan. Then he said, "There's (a) fan (at) Grandma's House". I asked him what he does at Grandma's and he said "Eat". I asked him what he eats and he replied "EGGS"! (Side Note: It's so cool that I can actually have conversations with him now!) It's so nice to see 2 of my favorite people enjoy each other so much as my Mom & Adam do... it makes me very happy.

15. Adam *loves* the moon & stars. Every late afternoon/early evening, he looks for the moon... "There it is! There's (the) moon"! He'll point to it and grin for a few minutes. He also points to the stars. I tell him that's where Grandpa (my Dad)is (at least I like to believe that's where he is).

16. Steven & I can't wait until spring so we can take Adam outside to play again!!! He's very much an "outdoors" baby. He loves to run around outside, even if it's freezing! We have lots of spring trips planned... Sesame Place (I can't wait to take him there in April or May), Frying Pan Park (county farm/pet zoo that's relatively close & free!), lots of playgrounds, etc. Poor little guy is sick of being cooped up indoors all day... especially in our small townhouse. These long winter days have me yearning for a single family home with a big backyard. Not holding my breath for this to happen anytime soon in this economy. :O(

17. Adam is quite the singer. He can sing these songs -- all by himself, with few errors -- "Baa Baa Black Sheep", Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", "Sing a Song of Sixpence" (Zayde's favorite), "Muffin Man" and, his favorite, The Alphabet Song (or, as he calls it, "ABCD"). He also can sing along to at least 20 more songs. No exaggeration. My friends laugh that I'm "one of those moms" who plays kid music in her car. Believe me, I don't have a choice with Adam... his music (particularly his Barney CD) keeps us both sane in the D.C. traffic!

18. Current loves (people not included): Doggies (always #1), pens/paper to "draw circles", cheerios, apple & orange juice, Barney (he's not a person!), Gymboree, The Play Cafe, walks, ELEVATORS (that's a huge one!), mac & cheese, building a tower with legos or blocks, cooking in his kitchen, playing with pots, pans & other kitchen utensils (the "real ones"), sleeping in a pitch black room at night (this surprises me... he doesn't want his night light on anymore), seeing all animals (esp. dogs... shocker), walks, running around outside, BATHS, exploring anything/everything new, kiddie music, anything he can't/shouldn't have (yep!) and spending time with Mama & Dada. His new thing is to lead Steven & I by our hands to a spot (usually, his playhouse) to "play (with) Adam".

19. Current Dislikes: car seat, stroller, high chair... anything that contains him, getting his face and hair washed, all milk & yogurt products (I really wish he would still drink milk... I've tried everything!!!), & getting dressed (he prefers the naked or diaper look). He expresses his dislikes by saying "No Like It, No Like It!!!", which sounds surprisingly adorable coming from his little mouth. :)

20. Adam started hitting "The Terrible 2s" shortly after he turned one. I am not exaggerating! If Little Love doesn't want to do something or doesn't like something, believe me... he lets you know!!! He started having "real temper tantrums" (the "on the floor, kicking and screaming" ones) last month but they seemed to have stopped (for now, at least). He *loves* being mischievious. He definitely has a glimmer in his eyes. I guess someone joked about this at school because when he knocked over the trash can, he said "bad boy"! He also loves to climb up onto his toy chest (from his puzzle box) so he can climb up on the media center... the toy chest is now in another location, as you can imagine. He also loves to run (grinning ear-to-ear) when he has something he shouldn't have. Even though it's frustrating and tiring, he thinks he is absolutely hilarious when he does something he shouldn't... so it's hard sometimes not to laugh, too. We're working on it, though. He is such a doll (usually) and we would like him to stay that way!!! :)

21. I have always been fascinated with the mother/child bond, particularly the mother/son relationship. I always heard how incredible it was to have a child, how it's a love like no other... so so true. I have never put my needs before anyone like I do with Adam. To say I would do anything for that child is an understatement. Even on days when I'm totally wiped out from his shenanigans (see #20!), I still miss him about 30 minutes after he falls asleep. The other day, when I came home from running errands (Grandma was watching him) he was so happy to see me... we couldn't stop hugging and kissing each other... 100% purely instinctual & unconditional love & affection. What could be better than that?!?

22. Last but certainly not least... as we get closer to Adam's 2nd birthday (6 weeks ago!) I keep wishing that I could do it all over again... start over again with Little Love as a newborn... knowing what I know now... just enjoying him and not worrying so much!!! He was such a sweet, happy, smart & adorable little baby. Of course, he's the most amazing & incredible toddler now ... and I'm so incredibly thankful to G-d every day for blessing us with this miracle... but I still miss his "baby days" sometimes. Hopefully we'll have another baby in the house one day but it won't be *ADAM*. I am hoping to step back & treasure my moments with him in the next six weeks when he still is, technically, a 1-year-old. It's funny... some days (particurly mornings when I'm exhausted) seem to drag on & on... but the days itself come & go so fast. Our days with Adam are filled with so much love & joy... and, the occasional, sheer madness... but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. :o)
Shopping with Mama in his "race car"... always an adventure with this kid! :o)

1 comment:

namaste said...

Trying to remember everything on your list here...

*sleeping away from home: do you bring all of his stuff that he uses at home and follow the same routine? When we sleep away from home all of the animals, blankies, etc. that sleep in Danny's crib travel with us. We also bring the same books we read at nighttime, follow the same routine, play the same music, etc. Seems to work for Danny, but you're probably already doing all of that for Adam already...

* there's a cool "learning tower" thing that you can get (usually used on Craigslist) that's great for kids who like to watch you cook or other things

* music - I've become quite the queen of Napster lately as far as making fun CD's for Danny's daycare class (with rave reviews, if I do say so myself). I'd be happy to forward the playlists to you if you give me your email address. It's fun stuff that kids like (e.g. Chipmunks), classics that they should know (e.g. Disney) and stuff that adults like too (e.g. Boogie Shoes, Stevie Wonder, etc.)

*tantrums - I've found that humor has been very helpful (e.g. I start sobbing hysterically, in a funny way, when Danny protests getting dressed - he ends up laughing at me and not noticing that I'm dressing him at the same time). Also distracting him (toddlers have the attention span of a gnat). Or my personal favorite, ignoring him. He'll do the hanging on to my leg sobbing as if he's going to die thing (over Cheezits for breakfast or something similarly goofy) and I'll carefully detach him and tell him that he's more than welcome to lay on the floor and keep crying but I'm going to the next room. Or if it's the end of the day and I know he has no emotional glue left, sometimes I'll end up hugging him and just letting him know that I'm sorry he's having a rough day and he'll calm down. I know when I'm having a bad day and not feeling particularly rational, all I want is a hug and to be told it's going to be okay.

Just some random completely unsolicited thoughts. :)