Monday, November 24, 2008

False Alarm

So, as you loyal readers know, I've been on pins & needles since Thursday night, thinking that my little love has MRSA -- the very serious form of staph. I made the mistake of reading an article on Parents.com that was labeled "When a pimple turns out to be deadly"... referring to MRSA, of course. Yeah, that didn't send me into a little panic attack or anything. So, anyway, I call the pediatritions's office this morning to get the culture results and had to leave a message. I go to a 4th grade class to teach a lesson and come back to find a voicemail from the lab technician telling me that "the results are fine". Fine, as in my child isn't going to die of MRSA?!? So, I call right back just to get the message... again. Fortunately, the lab technician called back soon after to tell me, once again, that the results are fine... meaning everything came back NEGATIVE!!! No staph, no strep, no infection. YAHOO!!! What a nice surprise that was. Of course, not too happy that Adam's been on a super strong antibiotic since Thursday night, but what can you do? Also, if he didn't have a bacterial infection... what is it, then, that he has???

So, we went back to the Doctor to find out... our 3rd visit in 5 days! Yikes! The Dr. we saw (a new Dr.) said that he has a combination of mild exzema and dry skin. Fortunately, the whitehead/pimple things are clearing up so he said to stop the antibiotics. However, his foot is still a mystery... nobody seems to know what's on his foot. This Doctor, after exclaiming "How Mysterious... How Mysterious, Indeed" (helpful, Doc!) thinks that it's an irritation from something and should clear up in a week or two. We have to go back to the Dr. in a couple of weeks for Adam's 2nd flu shot so if it's still there then, we're going to get a referral to a dermatologist. In the meantime, he told us to put hydorcortisone 1% on his foot. However, after Steven talked to his Dad (a Dr.) I'm not sure I want to do that since it's a steroid. So we might just leave the foot alone until the next Dr.'s appt. and hope it clears on it's own.

Thanks again for everyone's supportive comments, emails, and calls!

Happy moment last night: the Redskins winning against the Seahawks! Go Skins! Adam can now sing "Hail to the Redskins"... that's my boy!!! Here he is, all happy after the victory:

Have a great week everyone!!! I'm off from work until next Monday!!! Yahoo!!! :o)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So glad everything is okay!!!

Erin said...

Glad everything is okay